We spent 2023 doing what we love best: talking to Austinites about Austin.
Over the course of this year, we’ve interviewed dozens of local change-makers working to make our city a more beautiful place. Here are just a few of our favorite conversations.
Kareem El-Ghayesh | Kareem traveled 7,000+ miles for his love of barbecue and three months after opening KG BBQ, he was nominated for a James Beard Award.
Peter Mullan | The Austin Transit Partnership’s chief of architecture breaks down the challenges to building a local light rail system.
Elizabeth Crook | The Austin author’s most recent novel “The Which Way Tree” earned her the 2023 Texas Writer Award.
Dr. Kate Biberdorf | UT professor Kate the Chemist has shared stellar science with Stephen Colbert, Lester Holt, and the readers of Wired magazine.
Callie Haverda | The Austin-raised actress starred in Netflix’s “That ‘90s Show” alongside legends Topher Grace and Debra Jo Rupp.
FreeWater | Look to the future with Josh Clifford, the founder of a company that gives away its products for free.
But wait, there’s more. Check out these other amazing Austinites.
Food and drink
- El Naranjo chef Iliana de la Vega
- Abby Love of Abby Jane Bakeshop
- The Austin Boba Girls of Terrazzo Tea
- William Chris Wine Company’s Director of Education Kelsey Kramer
- Erica Yern of Cookie Wookie Kitchen
- Wine for the People’s Rae Wilson
- Kirsten Cessna and Todd Runkle, co-managing directors of Gensler Austin
- Dick Clark + Associates architects Mark Vornberg, Kim Power, and Kristopher White