Summer — the season of neighborhood cookouts, popsicle juice dripping down sticky fingers, and road trips. Call us car-zy, but this season brings an abundance of nostalgia, especially when it comes to driving down the highway while blasting The Proclaimers’ “I’m Gonna Be.”
That’s why we’re excited to kick off Hit the Road. In this summer road trip series, we will feature three destinations throughout June, July, and August — each with its own theme. We’ll be talking outdoor adventures, 30-mile getaways, and something for the foodies.
Before you pack your bags, here are some of our recommendations to prepare locally:
🥤 Stock up on road trip essentials
Swing by one of these Austin area spots to stock up on snacks, drinks, and coffee to minimize your stops during the road trip.
- Buc-ee’s, Multiple locations | Grab a taco, barbecue, or load up on Beaver Nuggets at this Texas-sized store founded in the Lone Star State. Fun fact: The New Braunfels location is currently the largest convenience store in the world coming in at 66,335 sqft. With construction set to start later this year, a new 75,000-sqft store in Luling will claim the title.
- The Austinite Market, Multiple locations | This local market offers organic coffee + freshly prepared snacks like the “austiNuts.”
🎶 Create a road trip playlist
Check out these local artists + add some of their tunes to your road trip rotation.
- Black Pumas, “Black Pumas”
- Wood & Wire, “North of Despair”
- Gary Clark Jr., “This Land”
- Shinyribs, “Late Night TV Gold”
🚘 Get your car ready
Check the fluids + car battery. If you notice anything out of the ordinary or need a last-minute oil change before you go, head to one of these local car shops.
- Newman’s Automotive, 3916 Woodbury Dr.
- Leonard’s Import Service Center, 4401 S. 1st St.
- Ben White Automotive, 409 E. Ben White Blvd.
- Bonus: Find the cheapest places to fill up your gas tank
🐶 Don’t forget about Fido
Be sure to line up accommodations for your pet while you’re away. Reach out to one of the many local pet sitters or pet boarding facilities. Here are a few:
- Austin Pet Ranch, 14425 FM Rd. 1826
- Pups & Pals Pet Lounge, Multiple locations
- Bed & Biscuit, Multiple locations
What road trip destinations would you like to see covered in the rest of our series? Let us know here.