Austin’s MLS Soccer Team is headed into its third season on Saturday, Feb. 25. Before you head to Q2, here’s a quick catch-up on where the team stands.
The season was filled with nail-biting matches that marked Los Verdes as the “comeback kids.” Austin FC became the only team in MLS history to make a comeback win from being two goals behind — four times in a season.
The Verde and Black ended its 2022 MLS Regular season with 16 wins, nine losses, and six draws. In the playoffs, the team drew with Salt Lake, then defeated Dallas before losing to LAFC in the conference final. Austin FC still ended its second-ever season as No. 2 in the Western Conference.
See the full 2022 season score record.
Although fans can expect to see many of the same players from last season — favorite Sebastián Driussi recently signed a three-year contract — there will be plenty of new players on the field this year.
New faces include:
- Forward Will Bruin, ranked No. 8 in the MLS for career goals scored
- Forward Gyasi Zardes, ranked No. 13 in the MLS for goals scored
- Defender Leo Väisänen, who has 23 appearances on the Finland senior men’s national team
- Defender Amro Tarek, who has played in the US, Egypt, Germany, and Spain
- Defender Adam Lundkvist, coming from Houston Dynamo FC
- Goalkeeper Matt Bersano, joining from the San Jose Earthquakes
- Forward Alfonso Ocampo-Chávez, joining from the Tacoma Defiance
And then, there’s the biggest change of all: a brand new team. Austin FC II, Austin’s MLS NEXT Pro team, is already in the midst of its inaugural preseason. Get tickets here.
Austin FC’s first game is against St. Louis City at Q2 Stadium on Saturday, Feb. 25 — tickets start at $75.