Be honest, are you from Austin?
According to Migration Patterns — using data from the United States Census Bureau — 43% of Austin residents were born and raised in the Capital City. We poked around on the map, which shows where people moved between the ages 16 and 26, and found a few interesting fun facts:
- 69% of residents who moved to Austin by age 16 elected to stay through young adulthood.
- 31% chose to leave the the city
- 18% stayed in Texas — 3.9% moved to Houston, 3.1% moved to San Antonio, and 2.8% moved to Dallas
- 13% chose to leave the state before age 26 — top destinations include Los Angeles, New York City, Denver, and Seattle
- 56% of Austin residents came from out of the city.
- 30% came from other areas of Texas — 6.7% came from Houston, 3.7% came from Dallas, 3.7% came from San Antonio, and 2% came from Fort Worth
- 26% came from out of state — most common areas include Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington DC, and Boston
View the Austin map — or any other US city — for yourself.