Phew. After hundreds of panels, pop-ups, performances, premieres, and parties, SXSW 2023 has come to a close.
According to our poll, around 60% of readers don’t attend SXSW, so we wanted to fill you in on the experience, give you the highlights, and a little data. During the festival, your City Editors...
- Walked 76,500+ steps each
- Attended over two dozen events and panels
- Took 700+ photos
2023 Film & TV Festival Jury and Special Awards
This year’s Film & TV Fest showcased 110 feature films — including 75 world premieres — 63 short films, 20 music videos, 12 TV premieres, and 35 XR experience projects.
As if you needed a reason to check out these new premieres, “Everything Everywhere All At Once” won seven Oscar Awards last week after premiering at SXSW in 2022. Give these winners a watch:
- Narrative features winner: “Raging Grace,” directed by Paris Zarcilla
- Documentary features winner: “Angel Applicant,” directed by Ken August Meyer
- Narrative shorts winner: “It Turns Blue,” directed by Shadi Karamroudi
- Documentary shorts winner: “Nǎi Nai & Wài Pó (Grandma & Grandma),” directed by Sean Wang
- Midnight shorts winner: “The Flute,” directed by Nick Roney
- Animated shorts winner: “The Debutante,” directed by Elizabeth Hobbs
- Texas shorts winner: “Breaking Silence,” directed by Amy Bench
This year’s Innovation Awards — hosted by comedian Carlton Wilcoxson, entrepreneur Janice Omadeke, and author Tiffany Dufu — covered 14 categories and inducted Texas journalist Dan Rather into the SXSW Hall of Fame.
Here are a few of the winners:
- Artificial Intelligence: Bird Buddy Smart Bird Feeder from Kalamazoo, MI
- Best in Show: GAF Beats the Heat by Cooling Streets from Parsippany, NJ
- Design: The Pollinator™ Kit for Renewable Design from Alameda, CA
- Immersive: Move.ai iOS Application from London, UK
That’s a wrap — catch you in 2024, SXSW.