This Sunday, Sept. 24 is the 30th anniversary of Richard Linklater’s classic film “Dazed and Confused.” To commemorate the movie that introduced the world to Matthew McConaughey and “Alright, Alright, Alright,” here are a few fun facts about the fan-favorite film.
- The film only earned $8 million at the box office, barely surpassing its budget of $6.9 million.
- The word “man” is said more than 200 times throughout the movie.
- The list of stars considered for the movie, but who didn’t make the cut, includes Vince Vaughn, Jon Favreau, Claire Danes, and Brendan Fraser.
- Matthew McConaughey earned his role after a drunken night getting kicked out of a bar with casting director Don Phillips. (Shout out to reader Matt D. for this fun fact.)
- Each actor received a mixtape from Richard Linklater.
- The signature long hair of Slater — played by Rory Cochrane — was actually a wig.