You don’t have to sing, but we do want you to celebrate with us. We’re turning one year old today, Oct. 18. 🎂
Something about taking another trip around the sun makes us nostalgic. From the moment we met to today, it’s been a great journey, ATX. Join us for a drive down memory lane (or maybe just down Congress Avenue) with some of the best stories this year had to offer.
City Editor London’s favorite stories:
- 8 questions with Angel Flores, transgender powerlifter and “Queer Eye” star | Weightlifting coach + transgender rights advocate Angel Flores discussed her rise into the public eye and how she finds home in an Austin gym.
- An inside look at the Moody Center, Austin’s new $338 million arena | We got a sneak peek of Austin’s newest arena before it opened this April + spoke with the lead architect about the stadium’s unique design.
- Peter Pan Mini-Golf owner reflects on 70+ years in Austin, TX | The owner of Peter Pan Mini-Golf shares family memories — plus then-and-now photos — of the Barton Springs landmark, which has been largely unchanged for seven decades.
City Editor Figi’s favorite stories:
- A brief history of the San Marcos Mermaid Fest | Merfolk are a big deal for San Martians — do you know why? We break the city’s aquatic legacy down for you.
- Your mini guide to street artists in Austin | Taking a stroll through Austin streets can be like taking a trip to the museum. Learn about our local street artists and the work they create around our city.
- 7 questions with dog fortune teller Sarah Wolf | Fortune knocks once at every dog’s door. We interviewed local animal fortune teller Sarah Wolf about her process + received a reading for an ATXtoday pet.
Before we start reminiscing, we would be remiss not to say thank you. Sometimes, the best part of our day is reading your emails and hearing how much you’re enjoying our work. Whether you’ve been here since the beginning or just subscribed today (welcome, btw), we appreciate you + look forward to many more years in your inbox.